IT Infrastructure Engineer
Start date: 13 February 2018
Location: Waterloo, London
Status: This is a full-time, Permanent role
The Challenge’s vision is a more integrated society where there is understanding and appreciation of each other’s differences. We design and deliver programmes that bring different people together to develop their confidence and skills in understanding and connecting with others. We believe everyone benefits when people from all walks of life come together to better know, understand and trust each other. This also applies to the people we employ to work with us. As an equal opportunities employer our aim is to have a diverse workforce to reflect the communities we work in.
This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic, rapidly growing organisation, working with young people and local communities across the country.
About the role
We are looking for an energetic individual to join the Technology department to work on IT infrastructure projects, reporting to the Senior Infrastructure Manager (SIM). The Challenge values both soft and technical skills, with writing/updating documentation and training materials required, as well as technical experience. This is not primarily a support role but some support escalation will be required. Frequent travel, some of it necessitating overnight stays, is to be expected.
The IT Infrastructure Engineer's primary responsibilities will be:
- Support the SIM in delivering infrastructure upgrades
- Ensure that all infrastructure configuration conforms to industry best practise
- Recommend to the SIM how to optimise the IT infrastructure
- Regularly report on the delivery of complex, often interdisciplinary projects
- Liaise with business stakeholders and service users on required improvements
- Create, update and verify the accuracy of all infrastructure documentation
- Hand over to the Support team, all upgrades and enhancements, so as to assist productivity.
- Authenticated Wi-Fi Network - setup / test / document / handover
- Laptop Full Disk Encryption – setup / test / document / handover
- Migration of Legacy File Shares to Box Enterprise - execute / document
- Creation of Large Replicated Storage Array - setup / test / document / handover
- Mobile Device Management configuration (Android) - optimise current process
- Hosted Telephony Migration - plan / test / execute / document / handover / tidy up
- Central Print Release / Scan-To-Cloud - execute / document
- Wider Rollout of SAML SSO Apps - business analysis / vendor liaison / prototype
- User Provisioning Workflows (API) - document / test / execute / handover / monitor
- GDPR / IS0 27001 Compliance - work under direction of line manager to implement
We are looking for outstanding individuals with the following personal qualities:
- Strong analytical and logical thinking
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Energetic, enthusiastic
- Positive personality
- Strong organisational skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Superb attention to detail
- Able to work collaboratively with people on projects across various departments and locations
- Strives for continuous improvement by seeking and sharing feedback appropriately and respectfully
- Learns from their mistakes and always commits to performing at their best.
Highly experienced and knowledgeable in the theory and practice of:
- TCP/IP networking (vLANS/SD-WAN/Security)
- Hyper-V Virtualisation / Networking / Replication
- Network Cabling & Wiring Cabinet Setup
- Wired/Wi-Fi Network Survey & Troubleshooting
- Network Documentation & Diagramming
- HP Procurve, Cisco IOS or Cisco Meraki OS
- Windows Software Deployment / Patching
- Network Engineering for Voice (+/- Wi-Fi)
- Windows 7 Configuration & Management
- MS Windows Imaging i.e. WDS / MDT.
- Android / iOS MDM Products
- Chrome Enterprise / G-Suite Admin
- VMware Airwatch or similar MDM / EMM
- Sumologic (or Splunk or similar) usage
- PowerShell / API Scripting
- SAML & SSO Products
- Server 2012 R2 Management
- On-Prem / Azure AD / Identity Management
- AWS / Azure Configuration / Networking
- Cisco Meraki Dashboard.
These will be tested both by at least one interview and an in-depth technical assessment.
The Challenge is committed to safeguarding and protecting the young people that we work with. As such, all posts are subject to a safer recruitment process, including the disclosure of criminal records and vetting checks. We ensure that we have a range of policies and procedures in place which promote safeguarding and safer working practice across our programmes.
We expect all staff and post holders to share this commitment to safeguarding by ensuring compliance with our policies and practices.
Only applicants who have the right to work in the UK or have a valid visa or work permit for a minimum of 6 months at the time of application will be considered for this role.
In addition to being part of a fun, dynamic and challenging workforce, we are proud to offer an attractive benefits package including contributory pension, Simplyhealth cash plan, Ride 2 Work, childcare vouchers, season ticket travel card loan etc. to eligible employees.