Start date: 1st June 2017
The Challenge is a national charity that was founded in 2009. Our mission is to connect and inspire people to strengthen their communities. We bring together local people across all generations, ethnic groups and incomes to build a stronger society. This is a unique opportunity to join a fast moving, rapidly growing organisation, working with young people and local communities across the country.
About the role
The Challenge is looking to recruit a new Procurement Manager. The Procurement Manager will be responsible for leading a small team of people and directing the efficient and cost effective procurement of a range of products and services, in support of The Challenge’s delivery of NCS. NCS is a government-funded programme that over the next three years will involve The Challenge working with over 170,000 young people and 23,000 seasonal staff. NCS brings people together from diverse backgrounds, empowering participants to meaningfully change their local communities and gain new life skills. You will work with and help to further develop an existing portfolio of residential accommodation and food providers / outdoor activity providers. In 2017, this will mean overseeing the provision of nearly 40,000 places at university style accommodation, as well as the transport, food and equipment required to support programme delivery. The total budget will be in excess of £7 million. The role will work alongside the rest of the team to help set the strategic direction of the Procurement team. The Procurement Manager will report to the Senior Procurement Manager.
The Procurement Manager’s primary responsibilities will be:
- Strategic planning: leading work to ensure that the Procurement team is able to effectively support the continued growth of NCS. This will include taking responsibility for developing pilots and designing new ways of working.
- Portfolio management: work with and help to further develop an existing portfolio of residential accommodation and food providers.
- People management: leading, managing and motivating a small team.
- Procurement processes: manage the sourcing of accommodation and equipment, including contract preparation.
- Negotiation: work alongside the rest of the Procurement team on developing and implementing negotiation strategy.
- Budget responsibility: meet demanding budget targets and oversee detailed financial processes and plans.
- Problem solving: monitor quality of service and ensure that complaints and issues are appropriately resolved.
- Interdepartmental coordination: working with operational departments and senior leadership across the organisation to ensure that the Procurement team delivers the resources required to support NCS.
We are looking for an outstanding individual with the following qualities:
- A commitment to the mission and values of The Challenge and an understanding of how these relate to the functions of the Procurement Team.
- Experience of managing and motivating a small, focused team.
- A desire for deeper understanding of key areas of responsibility, particularly residential accommodation markets.
- A track record of developing creative and effective responses to challenging strategic problems.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to form and maintain business relationships.
- Ability to achieve value for money through successful negotiations.
- Strong numerical skills including a good working knowledge of Excel and a familiarity with financial processes.
- Able to plan and prioritise effectively when carrying out multiple simultaneous projects.
- Outstanding organisational skills and commitment to detail and accuracy, include experience of contract management.
- Able to work collaboratively with people across various departments and locations.
- Desire for continuous improvement by seeking and sharing feedback.
- Learns from their mistakes and always commits to performing at their best.
In addition to being part of a fun, dynamic and challenging workforce, we are proud to offer an attractive benefits package including contributory pension, Simplyhealth care plan, Ride 2 Work, childcare vouchers, season ticket travel card loan etc to eligible employees.
This is a full-time, permanent role based in our London Waterloo office.
Salary: 32,000 – 36,000, subject to experience
Only applicants who have the right to work in the UK or have a valid visa or work permit for a minimum of six months at the time of application will be considered for this role.