Head of Safeguarding
Head of Safeguarding
Operations & Performance Director
The Challenge’s vision is a more integrated society where there is understanding and appreciation of each other’s differences. We design and deliver programmes that bring different people together to develop their confidence and skills in understanding and connecting with others. We believe everyone benefits when people from all walks of life come together to better know, understand and trust each other. This also applies to the people we employ to work with us. As an equal opportunities employer our aim is to have a diverse workforce to reflect the communities we work in.
This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic, rapidly growing organisation, working with young people and local communities across the country.
About the role
Reporting to the Operations & Performance Director, the Head of Safeguarding is a critical new senior role with a broad, pivotal and influential remit. The role will lead on developing, implementing and championing all aspects of safeguarding throughout The Challenge and overseeing Health and Safety across the organisation. By extension, it will play a pivotal role in the Challenge leadership team.
We are seeking to identify and attract a high-calibre individual who can demonstrate technical knowledge, expertise and experience in safeguarding and health and safety.
- Lead the ongoing development/refinement of the organisations Safeguarding strategy.
- Review and develop all aspects of the organisation’s Health and Safety Policy and activity, and ensure that it is implemented consistently.
- Ensure appropriate governance arrangements are in place to support The Challenge in fully meeting regulatory, legislative and best practice requirements.
- Provide expert advice to colleagues when dealing with complex safeguarding matters and act as the organisations safeguarding lead.
- Promote collaborative working and sharing of best practice among staff to inform continuous improvement.
- Provide accurate and timely reports and presentations for the Directors, Board of Trustees and Heads of Department.
- Ensure high quality, up-to-date technical advice, training and guidance is in place for all employees at The Challenge.
- Maintain an up-to-date risk map ensuring that mitigating actions are identified and implemented.
- Identify areas of policy, practice and systems development that require improvement and work with relevant directorates to support required changes in approach.
- To ensure that the organisation operates appropriate Safer Recruitment practices.
- To act as the organisational lead on Prevent duty.
- To represent The Challenge with external agencies and organisations as appropriate to the role.
- As a member of the directorate management team, to provide leadership across the organisation, and be a proactive, visible and positive member of the O&P Management Team.
- Demonstrable experience of leading on safeguarding within a similar environment.
- Demonstrable experience of leading strategic and cultural change.
- Evidenced understanding of the youth-engagement marketplace.
- Influential senior leader with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong relationship management skills with the ability to engage persuasively at all levels.
- Solving complex problems and enabling solutions through pan-departmental alignment.
Leadership, Behavioural and Personal Characteristics
- Loyal, tenacious, selfless and motivated.
- Alignment of personal qualities with those of the business’s core values.
- Deeply committed to the people one leads.
- Affinity for and ability quickly to adapt to The Challenge culture but with the conviction and capacity to question and change existing ways and established business models.
- Team player with low ego, good sense of humour and strong work ethic.
- Resilient, especially when working under pressure.
- Natural affinity for The Challenge’s behaviour sets and leadership framework.
The Challenge is committed to safeguarding and protecting the young people that we work with. As such, all posts are subject to a safer recruitment process, including the disclosure of criminal records and vetting checks. We ensure that we have a range of policies and procedures in place which promote safeguarding and safer working practice across our programmes.
We expect all staff and post holders to share this commitment to safeguarding by ensuring compliance with our policies and practices.
Only applicants who have the right to work in the UK or have a valid visa or work permit for a minimum of 6 months at the time of application will be considered for this role.
Further information and how to apply
In addition to being part of a fun, dynamic and challenging workforce, we are proud to offer an attractive benefits package including contributory pension, Simplyhealth cash plan, Ride 2 Work, childcare vouchers, season ticket travel card loan etc. to eligible employees.
- Status: This is a full-time, permanent role and will form part of the Challenge Leadership team
- Salary: Competitive and subject to experience
- Travel: The role will include a degree of travel to our offices across the country.