Sales / Business Development Assistant Manager, Work Placements – Preston
Start date: ASAP
We are looking to hire a Sales / Business Development Assistant Manager for a new programme that prepares young people for the world of work. This role is perfect for you if you are passionate about sales, business development and finding work for young people, if you would like a job that is mostly out of the office, if you would like to be part of a team getting meetings with employers and signing them up to provide training opportunities for young people. It is perfect for you if you are someone who people warm to, are determined, well-organised and have a naturally positive attitude.
The Challenge is a national charity that was founded in 2009. Our mission is to connect and inspire people to strengthen their communities. We bring together local people across all generations, ethnic groups and incomes to build a stronger society. This also applies to the people we employ to work with us. As an equal opportunities employer our aim is to have a diverse workforce from all walks of life to reflect the communities we work in.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast moving, rapidly growing organisation, working with young people and employers across the country.
About the role
Around half of all young people study a vocational course. Many of these young people graduate without being fully ready for the world of work. We want to change that and we want you to help us.
We want to test a new approach that we hope will make a real difference. We want to provide every young person in England with a meaningful work placement to develop their technical skills before they end their vocational education. We are now putting together a small team who will trial this approach with around 2000-3000 young people. Your role is a critical part of this team.
Your role will be within a newly created Sales and Business Development team that will be focused on signing up employers to the programme to provide the Work Placements for young people across the North West. Your role will be liaising with local employers to sign them up to provide work placements for 200-300 local young people.
- Engage local employers and sign them up to provide work placements, lasting approximately 3 months, for 200-300 local young people. This will require:
- Building good networks locally with employer organisations so that local employers know about what you are doing and are more likely to get involved.
- Contacting local employers to ask for a meeting to talk about work placements.
- Meeting with local employers and persuade them to provide work placements.
- As required, identify additional support requirements within the local area, and develop/manage tools to support employers to engage with and host work placements.
- Engaging employers to continue in future rounds of work placements as necessary.
- Track and report on Sales and Business Development targets.
Skills and experience
- Can build good relationships: Able to build good professional relationships with new people including small and big employers.
- Professional first impression: Able to give a very professional first impression.
- Well-organised: Able to organise large number of external meetings with employers and to keep accurate records of employer interest.
- Persuasive: Able to convince potential employers to provide work placements.
- Team-player: Able to build very good relationships with colleagues; easy to work with.
- Proactive problem solver: Able to remain outcome-focussed when faced with set-backs
- Communication: Able to articulately communicate the work placements offer to employers and comfortable answering questions and queries.
Beneficial, but not essential
- Experience working with young people.
- Experience helping employers to provide work experience or work placements.
The Challenge operates Safer Recruitment Practices for all roles within the organisation. Successful applicants will be required to provide a valid and acceptable Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check (previously CRB).
Only applicants who have the right to work in the UK or have a valid visa or work permit for a minimum of 6 months at the time of application will be considered for this role.
In addition to being part of a fun, dynamic and challenging workforce, we are proud to offer an attractive benefits package including contributory pension, Simplyhealth cash plan, Ride 2 Work, childcare vouchers, season ticket travel card loan etc. to eligible employees.
- Status: This is a full-time, fixed term role for five to eight months, starting ASAP.
- Salary: £20,000 per annum.