HeadStart Programme Associate – Preventative NEET pilot programme
Start date: ASAP
Duration: Fixed term, ending 31st October 2018
Salary: £27,000 per annum
Location: London Waterloo with a large proportion of time spent in and around Peckham, Southwark.
The Challenge’s vision is a more integrated society where there is understanding and appreciation of each other’s differences. We design and deliver programmes that bring different people together to develop their confidence and skills in understanding and connecting with others. We believe everyone benefits when people from all walks of life come together to better know, understand and trust each other. This also applies to the people we employ to work with us. As an equal opportunities employer our aim is to have a diverse workforce to reflect the communities we work in.
This is a great opportunity to join a dynamic, rapidly growing organisation, working with young people and local communities across the country.
HeadStart is an award winning youth social action programme, proven to build trust and understanding within communities, whilst enabling young people to acquire the motivation, knowledge and skills required for the work place. HeadStart achieves this by challenging and supporting young people to volunteer for at least 16 hours in return for skills workshops and a guaranteed interview for a paid role with a leading employer. Please visit our website for more information https://www.headstart-thechallenge.org/
About the role
We are looking for organised and dynamic colleague who is passionate about helping young people to get ahead in their future and develop stronger connected communities to help us pilot a new model of our award winning HeadStart programme. The pilot, delivered in partnership with the GLA and Lendlease will support 100 young people who are at risk of becoming NEET to stay in education whilst developing their skills and employability.
The role requires a combination of strengths in logistics, relationship management, event management, budgeting, strategic oversight, people management and a passion for creative community engagement. The ideal candidate will have experience in programme development and management, curriculum development, relationship management with local charities and stakeholders, working in a flexible environment and people management experience.
This role will be based in our London Waterloo office but with a large amount of time spent working in schools and community organisations in and around Peckham. From July-September this role will support in the delivery of the core HeadStart programme.
- To deliver learner assessments, skills workshops and reflection sessions with young people. Workshops will focus around personal development, confidence building, communication skills and employability skills.
- To manage the pilot, ensuring objectives, targets & KPIs are clearly set, reviewed and achieved in a timely manner.
- To ensure all key stakeholders are effectively engaged, from the provision of engaging employee volunteering opportunities to reporting on key performance indicators and impact. This will include the GLA, Lendlease, schools, and community partners.
- To support local charities to plan and deliver social action projects for HeadStart volunteers to take part in.
- To lead on project monitoring and evaluation, including participant, charity partner and employer surveys.
- To support in recruitment and management of temporary facilitator staff, managing their day to day activities (customer service, workshop delivery, interview support and volunteering projects).
Skills and experience
- Experience and ability to think creatively in the development and delivery of workshops with the aim of improving participants experience
- An awareness of different learning strategies and facilitation methods, suitable for facilitating a diverse range of abilities
- Motivated by the idea of shaping a high quality programme that makes a difference to its participants
- High attention to detail and a meticulous approach to managing time effectively
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- Experience of working with vulnerable or disadvantaged young people
- Experience and passion for working with community groups to build a stronger community
- Experience of managing and motivating a team
- Experience of monitoring and evaluating a project with a view to continuous improvement
- Experience of managing corporate partnerships
- Experience of delivering programmes in partnership with schools
- Experience of delivering a programme specifically to support young people who are at risk of becoming NEET
The Challenge is committed to safeguarding and protecting the young people that we work with. As such, all posts are subject to a safer recruitment process, including the disclosure of criminal records and vetting checks. We ensure that we have a range of policies and procedures in place which promote safeguarding and safer working practice across our programmes.
We expect all staff and post holders to share this commitment to safeguarding by ensuring compliance with our policies and practices.
Only applicants who have the right to work in the UK or have a valid visa or work permit for a minimum of 6 months at the time of application will be considered for this role.
In addition to being part of a fun, dynamic and challenging workforce, we are proud to offer an attractive benefits package including contributory pension, Simplyhealth cash plan, Ride 2 Work, childcare vouchers, season ticket travel card loan etc. to eligible employees.
- Status: This is a full-time, fixed term role until October 2018
- Salary: £27,000 per annum
- Interview process: Interviews to be held on 13th or 14th September