Start Date: 5th December 2016
End Date: Permanent Contract
Locations: London Waterloo, London Kentish Town, Surrey, Reading, Birmingham, Manchester, Yorkshire, Warwickshire, Lancashire.
The Challenge is a national charity that was founded in 2009. Our mission is to connect and inspire people to strengthen their communities. We bring together local people across all generations, ethnic groups and incomes to build a stronger society.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast moving, rapidly growing organisation, working with young people and local communities across the country.
About the role
Programme Managers (PMs) oversee the setup and delivery of our NCS programme across a local area and manage a team of Programme Associate Managers and Assistant Programme Managers. They provide management and coaching to build a strong team, support staff to deal with critical incidents and ensure a high quality programme is delivered by overseeing and managing setup throughout the year.
The PMs primary responsibilities are to:
- Oversee the setup of a high quality and locally grounded summer programme
- Directly manage Programme Associate Managers and support the Personal Development Plan process
- Ensure quality community projects are in place and plan key logistics for delivery across specific areas
- Build strong teams and develop staff, ensuring each team is well-bonded and directed with clear development plans
- Advise on behavioural, safeguarding and staff management decisions
- Oversee the management of logistics and planning, including liaising with transport providers, food delivery and accommodation
- Participate in out of hours on call cover to provide pastoral support during delivery periods
- To be efficient in finance management and procedures during both setup and delivery periods
We are looking for outstanding individuals with the following qualities:
- Project Management and Logistics: Extensive experience managing large scale events or projects, whether in a paid or voluntary setting e.g. managing youth programmes
- Youth-work Experience: Experience working with groups of young people in residential settings, whether in a voluntary or paid capacity
- Community Engagement & Relationship Management: Extensive experience working with diverse community groups
- People Management: Extensive experience managing and motivating large teams of people in challenging environments e.g. residential youth programmes; experience coaching and developing staff over longer periods of time.
- People Skills: Experience working effectively with key stakeholders, both internal and external
- Academics: A strong academic record or relevant equivalent experience
- Character: Strikingly positive attitude and integrity
- Experience dealing with critical behavioural and safeguarding incidents effectively
In addition to being part of a fun, dynamic and challenging workforce, we are proud to offer an attractive benefits package including contributory pension, Simplyhealth cash plan, Ride 2 Work, childcare vouchers, season ticket travel card loan etc. to eligible employees. You will also have access to a personal learning and development plan; internal and external training opportunities and progression opportunities for exceptional candidates.
- Salary is £30,000 – £32,000 per annum, subject to area
Please apply by sending:
INTERNAL: your CV and an internal application form to your first choice option:
EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: send your CV with a one page cover letter to your first choice option:
Please note: The Challenge is a fulfilling but demanding place to work. Two-day weekend working will be required on a number of occasions during the year. During delivery periods, staff work on a rota system and work evenings being on call. Some early mornings and late evenings will be required at different times throughout the year.
Only applicants who have the right to work in the UK or have a valid visa or work permit for a minimum of 6 months at the time of application will be considered for this role.