Programme Associate Manager
Start Date: 23rd January 2017
End Date: Permanent Contract
Locations: Birmingham, Warwickshire
The Challenge is a national charity that was founded in 2009. Our mission is to connect and inspire people to strengthen their communities. We bring together local people across all generations, ethnic groups and incomes to build a stronger society.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast moving, rapidly growing organisation, working with young people and local communities across the country.
About the role
Programme Associate Managers (PAMs) will work with Assistant Programme Managers to set up and oversee delivery of NCS across multiple geographical areas. They will provide management and coaching to build a strong team, support staff to deal with critical incidents and ensure a high quality programme is delivered by overseeing and managing setup throughout the year.
The PAMs primary responsibilities will be to:
- Set up a high quality and locally grounded summer programme
- Directly manage Assistant Programme Managers and some seasonal staff, ensuring their personal development by overseeing the Personal Development Plan process
- Ensure quality community projects are in place to allow young people to make a difference in their local communities
- Plan key logistics for delivery, including liaising with transport providers, food delivery and accommodation
- Build a strong team and develop staff, whilst ensuring each team is well-bonded and directed with clear development plans
- Work collaboratively across the zone to manage the safeguarding information management process within the zone
- Participate in out of hours on call cover to provide pastoral support during delivery periods
- To be efficient in finance management and procedures during both setup and delivery periods
We are looking for outstanding individuals with the following qualities:
- Project Management and Logistics: Experience managing large scale events or projects, whether in a paid or voluntary setting e.g. managing youth programmes or complex events
- Youth-work Experience: Experience working with groups of young people in residential settings, whether in a voluntary or paid capacity
- Community Engagement & Relationship Management: Experience working with diverse community groups
- People Management: Extensive experience managing and motivating teams of people in challenging environments e.g. residential youth programmes; fast-paced workplace
- People Skills: Experience of working effectively with key stakeholders, both internal and external
- Character: Strikingly positive attitude and integrity, with experience of inspiring teams to build stronger communities
- Academics: A strong academic record or relevant equivalent experience
- Experience managing large teams working in a fast paced and demanding environment
In addition to being part of a fun, dynamic and challenging workforce, we are proud to offer an attractive benefits package including contributory pension, Simplyhealth cash plan, Ride 2 Work, childcare vouchers, season ticket travel card loan etc. to eligible employees. You will also have access to a personal learning and development plan; internal and external training opportunities and progression opportunities for exceptional candidates.
- Salary is £25,000
EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: send your CV with a one page cover letter to your first choice option:
Please note: The Challenge is a fulfilling but demanding place to work. Two-day weekend working will be required on a number of occasions during the year. During delivery periods, staff work on a rota system and work evenings being on call. Some early mornings and late evenings will be required at different times throughout the year.
Only applicants who have the right to work in the UK or have a valid visa or work permit for a minimum of 6 months at the time of application will be considered for this role.