HeadStart Programme Associate
Start date: Immediately
Salary: £25,000 per annum
Location: Birmingham (West Midlands)
The Challenge is a national charity that was founded in 2009. Our mission is to connect and inspire people to strengthen their communities. We bring together local people across all generations, ethnic groups and incomes to build a stronger society.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast moving, rapidly growing organisation, working with young people and local communities across the country.
About the programme
HeadStart is a bold initiative which seeks to address the challenges of social segregation and youth employability. Delivered by The Challenge, HeadStart offers diverse groups of 16-19 year-olds opportunity to develop their employability skills through volunteering and professional workshops, and then rewards their social action with interviews for paid role. Please visit our website for more information https://www.headstart-thechallenge.org/
About the role
We are looking for organised, proficient and dynamic colleague who is passionate about helping young people to get ahead in their future and develop stronger connected communities. The role requires a rare combination of strengths in logistics, relationship management, event management, strategic oversight and people management. The ideal candidate will have experience in event development & management, curriculum development, relationship management with local charities and stakeholders, working in a flexible environment and people management experience. This role will sit within our West Midlands team working across Birmingham, Solihull and The Black Country.
The HeadStart Programme Associate’s primary responsibilities will be:
- Ensure that all staff objectives, targets & KPIs are clearly set, reviewed and supported on a regular basis.
- Support and develop the staff team through regular 121’s to ensure staff remain engaged, motivated, and on track to achieve targets.
- Manage key relationships with some of HeadStarts core corporate partners, providing opportunities for these organisations to get more involved in the HeadStart programme.
- Liaise with HeadStart Central Marketing team, ensuring all communications and programme delivery are aligned.
- Project lead the HeadStart Get Ahead Event which happens twice a year. This event is the culmination of HeadStart, providing additional skill building opportunities and an opportunity for reflection of the young people’s journey on the programme. This event also provides HeadStart with an opportunity to further develop and strengthen our relationships with our corporate partners.
- Coordinate the post programme protocol strategy at the end of each cohort. This will include surveying partners, gathering case studies and reviewing the workshop and interview process for the following year so as to maximise team time and reduce costs.
- Lead on Inclusion support within the West Midlands team
- Support in recruitment of temporary staff, managing their day to day activities during peak delivery periods (workshop, interviews and events).
- Develop and manage one off and ongoing HeadStart events to support our young people to further develop their skills and provide opportunities of engagement to corporate partners.
We are looking for outstanding individuals with the following qualities:
- Project & Event Management: Experience managing and leading a team to deliver events or projects in a paid or voluntary setting e.g. managing youth programmes or complex events
- Creative Community Engagement: Experience of working with diverse community groups. Interest in building stronger community and seeing change in society.
- People skills: Ability to give very good first impression and form good relationships with partners; able to work collaboratively with people on projects across various departments, zones and locations; strives for continuous improvement by seeking and sharing feedback appropriately and respectfully and Learns from their mistakes and always commits to performing at their best.
- People Management: Experience in managing and motivating a team.
- Youth-work Leadership: Experience of working directly with groups of young people in a local community setting, motivating them to step out of their comfort zones into challenging situations that stretch and develop them.
- Character: Strikingly positive attitude, learns from their mistakes and always commits to performing at their best.
- Understanding and analysing Data:. Ability to follow and understand targets. Experience of monitoring and evaluating events and projects and to create internal and external progress reports.
- Workshop curriculum development: Experience and ability to think creatively in the development and delivery of workshops with the aim of improving participants experience.
- Willingness to work weekends and weekday evenings as required.
- Experience of working in a fast paced and demanding environment
In addition to being part of a fun, dynamic and challenging workforce, there are many benefits working for The Challenge Network. We are proud to offer an attractive benefits package including a company contributory pension, Simplyhealth cash plan, Ride 2 Work, childcare vouchers, staff discount vouchers etc. to eligible employees.
- This is a permanent role starting immediately
- Interviews will be held on 20th March
Please note: The Challenge is a fulfilling but demanding place to work. You will be required to work 35 hours week, with flexible working days including evenings and weekends to meet the needs of programme delivery.