Communication and Media Associate
The Challenge is the UK’s leading charity for building a more integrated society. We design and deliver programmes that bring different people together to develop their confidence and skills in understanding and connecting with others. As an equal opportunities employer our aim is to have a diverse workforce from all walks of life to reflect the communities we work in.
The issue of Social Integration, and the importance of bringing people from different backgrounds together, is moving up the media and political agenda. We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative person eager to see our work positively portrayed in the media and beyond. This is a great first job for someone looking to build their career as a press officer or communications professional. The successful candidate will be managed by the Head of Communications and Campaigns and work closely with colleagues in Campaigns, Internal Communications, Public Affairs and Policy, Research, Brand and Marketing.
Your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Field inquiries from stakeholders, in particular journalists
- Write press releases and draft statements and, once approved, send these to the relevant journalists
- Generate ideas for news coverage of The Challenge, Social Integration and our programmes with the aim of raising the profile of each of these areas
- Develop and maintain excellent working relations with the press and media partners
- Maintain our bank of press cuttings and journalist contacts and monitor press coverage
- Provide communications support for colleagues across The Challenge
- Assist with crisis communications, when required
- Help advise our programmes on national media coverage
- Ensure positive co-working relations with the NCS Trust media team
Some out of hours work, for example during weekends and evenings, will be required for which the holder of this role can take time off in lieu
We are looking for outstanding individuals with the following qualities:
- A good self-starter, able to spot opportunities and act on initiative.
- A keen interest in and understanding of the media and UK politics.
- Articulate and able to confidently represent the organisation externally.
- Strong written communications skills, with some experience of drafting articles or blogs.
- Ability to work collaboratively on projects across various departments and locations.
- A talent for juggling numerous tasks and prioritising effectively, and an ability to work under pressure.
- Desire to strive for continuous improvement by seeking and sharing feedback appropriately and respectfully.
- Comfortable working with new ideas, information and concepts.
In addition to being part of a fast-growing, dynamic and challenging workforce, we are proud to offer an attractive benefits package including contributory pension, Simplyhealth cash plan, Ride 2 Work, childcare vouchers, season ticket travel card loan etc to eligible employees.
Location: London Waterloo Office.
Start Date: As soon as possible following appointment.
Deadline for applications: 13 July 2017