IT & Technology Category Manager
Start date: January 2019 or as soon as possible
Location: Waterloo, London
Status: Full-time,12-month fixed term with the possibility of conversion to a permanent role based on performance.
Salary: £40,000 per annum depending on experience
The Challenge’s vision is a more integrated society where there is understanding and appreciation of each other’s differences. We design and deliver programmes that bring different people together to develop their confidence and skills in understanding and connecting with others. We believe everyone benefits when people from all walks of life come together to better know, understand and trust each other. This also applies to the people we employ to work with us. As an equal opportunities employer our aim is to have a diverse workforce to reflect the communities we work in.
This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic, rapidly growing organisation, working with young people and local communities across the country. You can download our impact report which shows how we’ve helped 1,000s of young people build trusting and meaningful relationships with people from different backgrounds.
About the role
Reporting to the Senior Manager in charge of the Central Sourcing and Cost Management team, the position leads the strategic sourcing activities for Information Technology spend categories such as Maintenance, Client Services, and Software Licensing, with the goal of achieving significant cost reductions, while maintaining / improving product quality and supplier service levels.
The Category Manager’s primary responsibility is to utilize the strategic sourcing best practices to capture real savings while making effective supply base decisions, working closely with key stakeholders, in particular from the IT and Technology Innovation teams, to develop effective cost reduction strategies and implementation plans.
The position, with direct responsibility for approx £2m of IT and Technology spend across 100 suppliers, is instrumental in the provision of nearly 30,000 places in outdoor centres across England, Wales and Scotland, ensuring that they deliver high-quality, challenging and safe programmes for our participants.
- Working collaboratively with the IT and Innovation teams to streamline and improve sourcing processes, consolidating and optimising the supplier base
- Contributing to the target IT recurring cost savings (approx £500k) to be delivered by end of 2019
- Helping to track the actual savings vs target for the IT Category and helping to communicate performance against these measures and their potential budgetary impact
- Establishing and helping to manage strategic relationships with suppliers to ensure successful implementation and support of the IT and Technology saving plans
- Developing negotiation strategies and driving negotiations to achieve stated goals and objectives
- Reviewing supplier performance and helping to monitor contract compliance, also prompting regular supplier reviews and planning contract renewals or terminations in a timely and organised way
- Reviewing and managing all IT contracts, getting support from legal where appropriate
- Owning the IT supplier data base, ensuring it is kept up to date and promoting its active use as a key supplier management tool across IT and Innovation teams
- Remaining up to speed with market trends through relationships with suppliers and market experts, when appropriate helping to identify and communicate possible new solutions to IT and Innovation team’s contracting needs
- Helping to establish a strong cost management culture across the organisation
- Working closely with the Head of Central Sourcing and Cost Management to drive improvement of procurement efficiency and effectiveness throughout the organisation
- Understanding of the importance of information security (e.g. ISO27001) and implementing best practice
Skills and experience
- Self-starter and independent worker, outcome-driven and demonstrating appropriate leadership skills
- Ability to take the lead on the implementation of saving opportunities, while maintaining a fully collaborative approach with all key stakeholders for the IT category
- Ability to develop and influence the budgeting process, helping to set ambitious and achievable saving targets
- Robust communication skills, including the ability to develop compelling business cases and presentations
- Strong ability to build relationships with key suppliers and effectively manage internal relationships and networks
- Strong analytical capabilities and negotiation skills
- Successful track record in a relevant Procurement role, ideally as a category manager, in the private, public or non-for-profit sector
- At least 2 years of Information Technology specific procurement experience
- Experience of delivering challenging saving targets, taking primary responsibility and with little support from the rest of the organisation
- Strong and demonstrable supplier management track record
- Change management experience, driving and delivering change as part of a wider, multi-disciplinary team
- Passionate about service delivery, for both internal and external clients and stakeholders
- Team player, with the desire to establish him/herself as a key member of a critical support team
- Strives for continuous improvement by seeking and sharing feedback appropriately and respectfully
- Leads by example, learns from own mistakes and always commits to performing to the best of own abilities
- Resilient and calm under pressure, always remaining focused on outcomes
- Enthusiastic for and committed to our mission and values, with the ability to bring this to life when working with colleagues and external contacts
The Challenge is committed to safeguarding and protecting the young people that we work with. As such, all posts are subject to a safer recruitment process, including the disclosure of criminal records and vetting checks. We ensure that we have a range of policies and procedures in place which promote safeguarding and safer working practice across our programmes.
We expect all staff and post holders to share this commitment to safeguarding by ensuring compliance with our policies and practices.
Only applicants who have the right to work in the UK or have a valid visa or work permit for a minimum of 6 months at the time of application will be considered for this role.
In addition to being part of a fun, dynamic and challenging workforce, we are proud to offer an attractive benefits package including contributory pension, Simplyhealth care plan, Ride 2 Work, childcare vouchers, season ticket travel card loan to eligible employees.
Please apply by sending your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17 February 2019.
Only applicants who have the right to work in the UK or have a valid visa or work permit for a minimum of six months at the time of application will be considered for this role.
The Challenge Network (The Challenge) is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. Our privacy notice can be found here: https://the-challenge.org/careers
This privacy notice describes how we collect and use personal information about you prior to, during and after your working relationship with us, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or any subsequent data protection legislation in force from time-to-time.