Work Period: May- July (see final two pages for specific dates required)
Length of Role: Multiple 1 day and 2 day training events throughout work period. Preference will be given to those who can do multiple events.
Payment: £140 per training day
Application deadline: 5pm Thursday 28th Feb
Please note: Prior to delivering their first event, all trainers must attend 1 day of unpaid, non-residential training to be eligible for the role.
The Challenge is a fast-growing social enterprise that connects and inspires people across Britain to strengthen their communities. NCS with The Challenge is a programme that brings together young people from different backgrounds, builds their confidence, and challenges them to make a difference in their local community.
We are a major provider of the government’s National Citizen Service (NCS), a life changing experience for 15-17 year olds. In 2018, 30,000 young people across the UK took part in NCS with The Challenge with over 5,500 employed staff. In Summer 2019, we expect to do the same.
We are looking for outstanding trainers to facilitate and oversee our intensive NCS seasonal staff training. Facilitating 2 day training sessions for up to 90 people covering 7 different seasonal roles including Youth Programme Leader and Team Mentor.
You will work closely with your Regional Training Manager to ensure high quality training in line with our organisational mission and policies. Trainers are exceptional facilitators with significant experience delivering training to meet the needs of a diverse group of seasonal staff.
You will support the Lead Trainer with logistics to ensure smooth and effective training delivery for each event. Other responsibilities include giving effective feedback on your training team and delegates as required.
- Lead on running the training sessions; including briefing trainers, supporting registration and general running of the training session.
- Liaise with venue and food providers as necessary to ensure we maintain positive working relationships.
- A confident and engaging facilitator who is able to utilise a variety of different facilitation skills to ensure training meets the needs of all staff and is on mission.
- Thorough knowledge of National Citizen Service powered by The Challenge including the programme, curriculum and policies.
- Lead two trainers and support them to ensure consistency across the team culturing a positive attitude towards reflective practice.
- Confident in assessing others and providing effective feedback to aid staff development.
- Deliver feedback to core training team on performance of staff with particular focus on those with any cause for concern.
- Work with core training team to monitor and evaluate training provision to ensure continued development.
- Experience delivering training to a high standard on a large scale.
- Experience of working on the NCS programme, preferably with The Challenge although other providers will be considered.
- Experience line-managing and motivating a small team and confident in giving constructive feedback to support development.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluating curriculum in accordance with a quality assurance framework.
- Is able to learn and disseminate knowledge accurately and confidently and has a solution focused attitude.
- Is a highly motivated individual who is prepared to independently develop their skills and knowledge following training to ensure they are delivery ready.
- Is an ambassador for The Challenge, embedding the organisation’s mission and values into all aspects of delivery.
- Is passionate about young people and youth led facilitation.
Stage 1 – Application:
Please send a recent copy of your CV and a cover letter answering the following questions to North Training Team at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Please tell us why you want to work on NCS with The Challenge and how your values align with our mission and aims.
- What steps or processes would you take to prepare to deliver pre-designed content creatively and to a diverse audience?
- Please tell us about a time when you’ve delivered a training session that didn’t go well. What did you do differently or what did you learn from the experience?
Stage 2 – Assessment:
Should you be successful, you will be required to attend a half day assessment on one of the following dates;
|Wednesday 13th March||Leeds (5pm-9pm)|
Stage 3 – Train the Trainer Training
All trainers must attend 1 day of unpaid non-residential training.
We reserve the right to dismiss any lead trainer who does not complete training, participate fully or does not perform in-line with our organisational mission and values.
|Saturday 11th May||Manchester|
We are looking to recruit a pool of high quality Lead Trainers who will be able to deliver multiple, 1 day and 2 day training events from May to July.
New Staff events run for 2 consecutive days and Returner Staff events are half day provision with two events per day.
New Staff Events:
|New Staff 1||Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd June||Yorkshire|
|New Staff 2||Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th June||Yorkshire|
|New Staff 3||Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd June||Yorkshire|
Returner Staff Events:
|Returner Staff 1 & 2||Sunday 2nd June, AM & PM||Yorkshire|
|Returner Staff 3 & 4||Sunday 16th June, AM & PM||Yorkshire|
This is an excellent opportunity to be involved with a growing organisation. Your work will be integral in inspiring and developing a large number of delivery staff which has tangible results for the thousands of young people who will be engaging with our programme in 2018.
- The compensation for this contract role is £140 per 1 day role. You will be paid via our seasonal staff PAYE* process which means that this payment is subject to tax and National Insurance deductions.
- There is no additional payment for attending training or to cover travel expenses.
- A formal contract for services detailing full terms will be provided on successful completion of assessment.
Additional Support Needs:
As an equal opportunities employer we welcome applications from a diverse range of people, including those with disabilities. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to ensure that successful candidates are able to undertake the role that they are offered. You will be asked to tell us about any additional support needs at the post assessment stage but we encourage applicants who require reasonable adjustments to our pre-employment stages (application and assessment) to let us know via email