Senior Sales Manager
Start date: 29th April 2019
Location: London Waterloo
Status: This is a full-time, maternity cover position for approx 1 year
Salary: Competitive, depending on experience
The Challenge’s vision is a more integrated society where there is understanding and appreciation of each other’s differences. We design and deliver programmes that bring different people together to develop their confidence and skills in understanding and connecting with others. We believe everyone benefits when people from all walks of life come together to better know, understand and trust each other. This also applies to the people we employ to work with us. As an equal opportunities employer our aim is to have a diverse workforce to reflect the communities we work in.
This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic, rapidly growing organisation, working with young people and local communities across the country. You can download our impact report which shows how we’ve helped 1,000s of young people build trusting and meaningful relationships with people from different backgrounds.
About the role
We are looking for an energetic and creative people leader to drive our sales efforts to enrol young people onto NCS. The role requires a combination of strengths in people, performance, and process management and a need for both strategic oversight and understanding of operational opportunities and challenges. This is a fantastic opportunity to join an entrepreneurial and innovative organisation, grow in a dynamic and supportive environment and contribute to an exciting programme for social change.
Reporting to the Head of Sales, the Senior Sales Manager (SSM) will hold responsibility for the full NCS turn-up targets in our two London contract regions. You will be leading eight Sales teams through line management of six Field Sales Managers, a Regional Account Manager and an Admin Manager. Through this, you will be responsible for the leadership of over 100 people and the delivery of two of our largest NCS contracts.
- Setting, analysing and monitoring performance against targets across the contract regions and close management, and adapting of processes to ensure delivery of targets.
- Direct line management of Managers and oversight of their teams. Act as a point of escalation for people and performance issues.
- Secure the sign up, assignment and turn-up of the full contingent of participants for our NCS delivery seasons.
- Significant input to National Sales strategy, working with the Senior Sales Team and colleagues across Sales Operations.
- Implement and adapt local strategy and processes to achieve significant yearly increase in market penetration in line with our ambitious growth aspirations.
- Ensure we are achieving our mission through a focus on reaching a wide range of young people which represents the communities we work in. Working to address any discrepancies in this through specific targeting of hard to reach groups.
- Recruit and oversee on-going training and coaching of sales staff including their professional development.
- Lead high level national projects and ensure high quality delivery.
- Work with the Head of Sales and Senior Sales Team to ensure Sales are aligned with all other NCS departments and the wider organisation.
- Be a leader and role model to the Wider Senior Sales Team, with a focus on improving leadership capability across the department.
- Reporting to and relationship management of our funding body.
Skills and experience
- Highly organised people-person
- Successful experience line managing, upskilling and motivating individuals of different experience levels and leading teams
- Ability to analyse quantitative (e.g. sales results) and qualitative (e.g. market research) data and interpret/ gain insights to help shape local and national activities
- Excellent, pragmatic and performance focused problem solving ability
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills in group or individual settings
- Gravitas with senior stakeholders
- Experience managing complex processes successfully
- Ability to work effectively with other departments practically and compromise effectively whilst ensuring Sales effectiveness
- Ability to drive a large team towards achieving ambitious targets
- Ability to guide and support team through the full sales process
- Commitment and passion for the mission of The Challenge and the place of NCS within this
- A relentless focus on operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Understanding: Knowledge of own strengths; ability to empathise and see others’ point of view and compromise where necessary
- Professionalism: Strong work ethic, time keeping, responsiveness
- Responsibility: Take responsibility within and beyond the role
- Trust: Trusted by colleagues to always deliver
- Team work: Co-ordinates and co-operates with others across region and department in pursuit of common goals
- Persistence and determination
- Energy and initiative: A can-do attitude with an enthusiastic and persuasive personality
- Flexibility: Adjusts work schedules, plans, prioritises as required to fulfil overall objectives. Ability to think and plan ahead.
- Humble: A positive, helpful attitude at all times in what is a busy and challenging role.
- Calm under pressure
- Ability to lead and proactively demonstrate excellence through example
- Strives for continuous improvement by seeking and sharing feedback appropriately and respectfully
- Driven to hit targets and lead a team towards them
- Advanced excel skills to determine and produce useful statistical data
- Business development experience
- Experience with schools and/or teenagers
- Experience of the NCS programme
- Experience of managing Managers
The Challenge is committed to safeguarding and protecting the young people that we work with. As such, all posts are subject to a safer recruitment process, including the disclosure of criminal records and vetting checks. We ensure that we have a range of policies and procedures in place which promote safeguarding and safer working practice across our programmes.
We expect all staff and post holders to share this commitment to safeguarding by ensuring compliance with our policies and practices.
The Challenge has a legal responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the legal right to live and work in the UK. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to The Challenge verifying that you are eligible to work in the UK before you start work.
In addition to being part of a fun, dynamic and challenging workforce, we are proud to offer an attractive benefits package including contributory pension, Simplyhealth cash plan, Ride 2 Work, childcare vouchers, season ticket travel card loan etc. to eligible employees.
- To apply: Please apply by sending your CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Vacancy closes 9am Monday 25th February 2019
- Interview process: Selection for this position may include two rounds of interviews, the first of which will be in London on the 6th March 2019
The Challenge Network (The Challenge) is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. Our privacy notice can be found here: https://the-challenge.org/careers
This privacy notice describes how we collect and use personal information about you prior to, during and after your working relationship with us, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or any subsequent data protection legislation in force from time-to-time.