Impact Report 2017-18
We’re incredibly proud to share The Challenge’s first impact report. We worked with 47,000 young people who completed 1 million hours of volunteering for good causes across England in 2017-2018.
I made new friends I still talk to now. I also developed skills such as communication and teamwork.Raishay, NCS participant
This report shows how we’ve helped these young people build trusting and meaningful relationships with people from different backgrounds to create a more integrated society. We explain how we measure our impact and show the significant difference we’ve made to the lives and views of young people taking part in our programmes.
Almost eight out of 10 of them said NCS helped them make friends from different backgrounds while 75% of HeadStart participants said it was likely or very likely they would continue volunteering after finishing the programme.
Watch our short film to see the fantastic young people we support in action. Here’s a snapshot of The Challenge, our programmes and the difference we’re making to young people and their communities.
NCS (National Citizen Service)
- 45,000 young people took part in NCS programmes run by The Challenge or our local providers in 2017
- 71% said that NCS helped them to understand the challenges and experiences of those different from them
- 75% said that NCS encourages people to respect the experiences and viewpoints of people from different backgrounds
- 79% said that NCS helped them make friends from different backgrounds to their friends outside the programme
- 2,100 young people across England took part in HeadStart in 2017–18
- 40,000 hours of their time were volunteered to local charities
- 87% said they felt connected to their local community after HeadStart, compared to 33% who felt this way before.
- 75% said it was likely or very likely they would continue volunteering after the programme
- 83% felt that an industry placement helped them interact with people who are from different backgrounds and walks of life than their friends outside the workplace
- 91% thought it helped them to respect and understand the experiences and viewpoints of people from different backgrounds and walks of life
Quotes from participants
It’s been a really positive experience. I never expected to gain so many new skills and meet new people.Declan, HeadStart participant
Not only does it develop your skills and confidence, but it also allows you to expand your horizons and believe in yourself. – participantJordanna, Step Forward