The Challenge is the UK’s leading charity for building a more integrated society and therefore inclusion is at the heart of everything we do.
We strive to ensure that any young person who wants to take part in NCS is able to do so productively and meaningfully.
Our aim is that everyone should feel they can get involved in our programmes and their contribution is of equal value.
It is important to our approach to treat people as individuals, not defining them by their disability, sexual orientation, or cultural or religious background, while at the same time taking into account the needs that these may raise.
Young people on NCS come from all types of schools, youth groups, educational, community or local authority organisations. We believe that the greatest benefits come from young people of all backgrounds, learning from one another and benefiting from the understanding and support of their peers.
We tailor support as much as possible and as each young person may require different support, this can take time to set up and arrange. As a result, the time to confirm a young person’s place on NCS can take between 4 to 12 weeks. There are a number of steps that need to be completed before we can guarantee a place. Find out more on the application process for young people with support needs.
Specific details of changes we can make can be found on through the links below.
- Young people in contact with the Youth Justice System
- Young people who are LGBTQI+
- Young people who are looked after children
- Young people who have learning difficulties
- Young people who receive additional support
- Young people with English as an additional language
- Young people with mental health conditions
- Young people with on-going medical conditions
- Young people with physical disabilities, including wheelchair users, hearing or visual impairments